The Regift of Blogger Appreciation
People start writing blogs for different reasons, but the one thing we have in common is that teensy drop of fear. That when we put ourselves out there we’ll be smirked at, seen as dull, uninspiring or worse, or deemed a waste of digital space. I know I felt that way when I dipped my toe in the water 6 months ago.
So it’s with incredible gratitude and humility that I accept two blogger awards:
A Leibster Award from TodayIwillmostlybe, a fresh twist of a style blog that injects equal parts substance and fun.
An Inspiring Blogger Award from Laura Michelle Smith. Laura is a delicious mash up of great writing on all fronts, loves beauty, fashion and feminism as much as I do.
I am flattered and beyond appreciative that you’ve fit my blog into your busy lives. The fact that you read my blog is the Christmas I need (that and I new DSLR).
To respect the guidelines of accepting blog awards, I’ll provide the requisite Q&A about me, and then get to the good stuff, which means honoring a whole lotta YOU.
- I secretly wish I could wear cowboy hats everyday. I especially like a tall Sheriffs hat. They make me look taller and give me the bad ass that I’m lacking because I usually look like a preppy cheerleader made out of cotton candy. Normally, you wouldn’t want me on your team in a knife fight, but if I were wearing a cowboy hat, believe me, you would.
- I can’t spell. If you ever get an email from me on my iPhone, it’s not my thumbs that are in the way. It’s my brain.
- I’ve cheated on my husband. With Homeland, Season 2. I download it and watch it in the bathroom on the iPad. The worst part is, I mess with his head when he throws out theories about Season 2 because I know what’s coming.
- My three favorite words to hear are “I have an idea”. If you come into my office and give me only a problem, you might as well say “Here’s a flaming bag of poo for you. Love you, mean it, bye now!”. But, if you have a few ideas – right or wrong – you’ll have endeared yourself to me for life.
- Judgmental really people bother me. Opinions, pundits and critics I enjoy, but blind judgment I find hard to swallow, especially if the purview is narrow or the other argument not considered. I say this knowing I’m staring down four loonnggg holiday days with my Fox news loving parents. Not that I judge.
And now to the blogs that I want to honor in return for their fabulousity and continued inspiration they give me:
- Campari & Sofa. Every woman should have girlfriends in their circle like these two. Claudia and Sue, thank you for making the world a smaller and warmer place.
- DianeABroad You had me at duck fat. A young woman sharing her time in Paris, who loves to cook, eat and shoot. Thank you Diane for giving me the gift of Paris and a big butt (your recipes are delicious but American women do get fat).
- 40+ Style. What I appreciate the most about this site is global view of women. Sylvia’s a Dutch globe trotter currently based in S’pore, but this isn’t just a style blog, it’s a feminine collective for women everywhere. Thank you Sylvia for giving me the gift of global fashion sisterhood.
- Whencrazymeetsexhaustion. True confession; I originally clicked on her blog because I saw the word “sex” in the title (you clever marketing genius). But what I found was exceptional writing, wisdom and insight. Thank you for giving me your perspective on everything, especially “Continue”. I feel the same way.
- FoodSexFashion. Again, the word sex, but this time mixed with FOOD! Thank you for mixing all three of my favorite things in a bloggy blender.
- Fairy Tales & Coffee. Thank you for liking MZ Wallace as much as I do as well as Shahs of Sunset.
- Women of a Certain Age. A 40+ actress living and working in NYC. Laila, thank you for giving everyone a peek behind the curtain of what being an actress is really like.
- The Real Life of A Footballers Wife. No, not a reality TV wife, a REAL one. Alice’s stories are charming, real and only on occasion are you reminded of the context. Alice, thank you for giving us a glimpse of your world and keeping it real.
- Monayz Two divorced women serving up life in the resingled lane while juggling…life. Thank you for showing us how to roll, whether we’re married or not.
- Athingirldotcom. Smart NYer with dry wit who loves Aaron Sorkin and Bemelmans. Thank you Susannah for sharing your take on the city and making me laugh under my breath.
- Melissafergusson. I don’t know why I like blog so much, I just do. Thank you Melissa for introducing me to the “Alice in Charlaland” idea for my birthday.
- Stylish and Geek How can you not love a girl who can dish on shoes, cameras and tech? Thank you Cara for giving me great camera tips (with any luck I’ll have a new DSLR under the tree)
- Eat Beautiful. Read all about healthy food and a healthy mind. Dr. Kat, thank you for helping me stay balanced (sort of).
- Sheela’s Blog. A grown up style blog among other things. Thank you Sheela, for bravely showing me how to strut my stuff and how to accessorize a cast.