Good morning sunshine. This is a repost from 1/1/2013, but a great hangover cure never goes out of style albiet with some tweaks.
I hope I’m not too late.
Even if I am, medical evidence shows that what you need now is rest and plenty of it all day long. No need to exercise today, that will only dehydrate you, but a nice 30 minute walk later in the sunshine will help get your blood pumping, preferably on your way to see “Star Wars”.
Your goal for today is to hydrate, so aim for sipping a gallon of water slowly thru out the day. I know, the thought of water makes you vomit, so start with coconut water and pop two Advil and a probiotic (helps get your intestine going).
If you’re not up to eating just yet, try a cup of a detox tea (I like Mighty Leaf Organic Detox Infusion) with two tablespoons of honey. Yes honey, and don’t worry about the sugar or calories. Honey is like liquid plumber for your liver and gives you a natural sugar boost. My favorite is Manuka honey as it’s reported to have antibacterial qualities and is exceptional for your health.
In an hour, try this Resurrection Smoothie which has ingredients to help you hydrate, flush out toxins, stabilize your blood sugar and will be gentle on your tummy:
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened is better for you)
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder (I like Nutriva chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 tsp coconut oil (and/or avocado)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries (this makes it frosty)
- 2 Tbsp honey (yes, more honey)
Dump everything into a blender and hit the on button for about a minute. Then drink. Think of the brain freeze is as added bonus.
Now, take a nice warm bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts, a handful of coconut oil and a few drops of essential oil. Lavender works if you’re going to take a nap, but to keep your energy up I like either ylang ylang or my favorite, Kniepp Juniper Muscle Soothing Bath. Soak for 20 minutes. This will also help suck out impurities and help relax your muscles. While you’re in there, plop on an SKII Facial Treatment Mask or slather on Fresh Creme Acienne Honey Mask to help resurrect your face. Don’t forget your water, reading glasses and the latest issue of US Weekly – it’s all your brain can take right now.
After, slather on a rich non-perfumed moisturizer for your face and body and slip into some sweats with a forgiving waistband. Douse your eyes in Visine and skip your Latisse today, your eyes will be too sensitive.
Later in the day, try this healthy Hangover Egg Scramble to keep things a moving.
Pick your veggie mix in:
- Asparagus (another incredible detoxifier)
- Baby spinach (rich in iron)
- Shiitake mushrooms (the legal wonder ‘shroom)
- Shallots (they don’t take the same toll on your tummy that onions might, and give great flavor)
- Skip: tomatoes (too acidic), peppers (gives you gas)
Pick an additional protein mix in.
- Smoked salmon (my favorite, gentle on your tummy)
- Canadian or turkey bacon (a little salty but beats the alternative)
- Low fat goat cheese or whatever cheese like substance you have around.
Sauté all this stuff together over low heat about 5-10 minutes in a tiny bit of olive oil or ghee (or screw it, a slab of butter) and then mix in 1 whole egg (yolks have egg-cellent restoration properties) and 3 egg whites.
Add a carb – it’s OK, you’re in recovery. My favorite right now is Ruis Rye bread; it’s chewy, hearty but as a good as a grain gets from a nutrition standpoint.***
Now, it’s time to Netflix and veg. I’d suggest OTNB, Broad City or Botched (anything on Bravo or E will do). Save Outlander and GoT for another time, but there are too many nude scenes and in your delicate state you don’t need to feel that you’re anything less than perfect, just the way you are.
A few don’ts:
- Hair of the dog doesn’t work; it just prolongs the inevitable banging head you’ll have later.
- A greasy eggle with hash browns or pancakes might sound good, but you need to flush your liver like a toilet and none of these things will help you do that. In fact too many carbs and salt will only help you hold to all the crap you put into your body last night. You must let it go and let it flow.
- Avoid citrus like pineapple, grapefruit and oranges if your tummy is upset. Same for coffee if you can avoid it.