Coco Chanel once said,
“Fashion is not something that exists in dress only. Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening”.
And there comes a point in life where being interesting trumps just being chic, so I thought I would give you a peek into my day job where I get to plug into cultural trends with Sparks & Honey, a cultural trend agency I work with the help Clients understand where society is headed.
A lot of this can seem very upstream, but the next thing you know, that weird thing becomes a becomes a “thing” thing and people think you’re Nostradamus for telling them about it first.
Most of these trends can seem random and strange, but not so much when you realize they’re part of a something bigger. This year, you’ll see a big trend towards individualism and self expression, while another mega trend towards digital detoxing. We’re wired out of our freaking minds and are searching for lo-fi, old school, analogue ways to chill out and reconnect with the human species.
Buckle up, here are the 10 Next Big Things for 2016
1. BREATHING CLASSES (are the new meditation which are the new yoga) – Proper breathing can provide a psychotherapeutic release, but apparently most of us are breathing the wrong way. For instance, did you know what when you’re breathing the right way, your belly is supposed to expand out on the inhale? I didn’t know this which is why I guess many of us need structured classes. Check out this GIF as a start.
2. CARDISTRY & ADULT COLORING BOOKS – Both provide mental stimulation and an unplugged way to relax. Adult color books are akin to a structured doodle but have loads of style like the ones here. With cardistry you have a nifty new way to impress friends that don’t involve any social media (ironically it’s the perfect thing to show off on instagram slow mo). Check out cardistry here.
3. AUREL SEX – Ok if there is one trend you need to try it’s this super freaky one. ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) is basically an orgasm for your brain (so they say), but it’s not at all sexual. Rather it uses subtle noises like whispers, tapping, crinkling and stroking recorded in high def that make your hair stand on end. My brain failed to ugh…perform, but put on some headphones and hear for yourself.
4. POETRY IN MOTION – What’s old is new, so get ready to see poems popping up everywhere (handwritten preferably). They’ve never really left, it’s just been disguised as hip hop which is at it’s core spoken poetry. Whether it’s Haiku or Hip Hop, reintroduce yourself to poems with this wonderful app, POETRY from the Poetry Foundation or if you’re very brave, take your rhymes live at The Moth with their open mic slam poetry night.
5 WEEDERIES – Dude…with legalization comes luxury marketing to vie for your winery dollars. Upscaling will destigmatize anything that seems socially questionable, so I give you $35MM Cannibis Ranch and Ampitheater will open soon in Colorodo and give visitors a chance to see how marijuana is cultivated, sample different strains at their dispensary and listen to live music all in a stunning Rocky mountain setting. I know what you’re thinking, sounds like a high end Dead concert, but my favorite part of the Cannibus Ranch website is where they ask “why a restaurant” – seriously? Because munchies!!!!
6. GENDER BLENDING – The recent spotlight on transgender celebrity (Caitlyn, Laverne Cox, Andreja Pejic) has accelerated and challenged our ideas about gender. But where this is getting scale is in more of a middle ground where we’re seeing fluidity between “boys borrowing from girls, girls borrowing from boys” and/or a new genderless space when it comes to fashion, beauty and skin care (think Tom Ford fragrances, Aesop skin care). To wit, Jaden Smith sporting women’s ready to wear in Luis Vuitton’s spring campaign.
7. STATEMENT SOCKS – basically wearing funky socks as ankle flair. Originally I dismissed this trend as a random outlier, until today I saw Vogue declare that 2016 is the year of the funky sock. I can’t explain it. I won’t try it. But here it is. Enjoy.
8. GINGER-FICATION I attribute this to the Outlander effect, driven by it’s hunky leading man, Jamie, but overall expect a fascination with red heads. Building on that, freckles are having their own 15 minutes of fame with make up artists like Charlotte Tilbury and Gucci Westman drawing deliberate freckles on the runway models.
So what do you think you’ll try this year? Certainly most are harmless ways to relax, challenge your mind and amaze your friends. Try some of these for ladies night out or instead of book club. And heck, aren’t day trips to the wineries getting just a little tired? I challenge you all to don your funky socks, bring your adult coloring books and cardistry tricks to the weederies. Write some poems and then listen to some ASMR. Giggles forever.
Here’s to 2016.